Energy, Environment and Resources Center
A Nanotechnology Workshop in East Tennessee
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville will host a
laboratory dedication and a day-long symposium on October 26, 2004 devoted
to the exploration of nanoscience and nanotechnology in its many forms. The
session will be devoted to four major topics:
The purpose of the event is to assist in the development of a community of scholars and researchers with interests and activities in the field of nanotechnology and to explore further opportunities for institutional development and collaboration.
The workshop is open to all, including interested UT staff, faculty and students and ORNL staff and economic development officials. The event will be held in the Science and Engineering Research Building on the UTK campus.
• 8:00-8:30 Registration and continental breakfast
• 10:15-10:30 Break
• 10:30-11:15 Economic Development Prospects for Nanotechnology in East Tennessee: Ron Nutt, President and CEO of CTI Molecular Imaging; Bill Johns, East Tennessee Economic Development Agency, Clark Taylor, the Benet Group, John Hopkins, UTK Research Foundation.
• 11:15-11:45 Frontiers of Science on the Nanoscale: the UT-ORNL Connection: Ward Plummer, Distinguished Professor, UTK Physics.
• 11:45-12:15 UT Laboratory Dedication, Loren Crabtree: David Joy, Distinguished Professor, UTK Biochemical/Cell and Molecular Biology: Mike Simpson, Senior Scientist, ORNL and Professor of Material Sciences and Engineering, UTK
• 12:15-1:15 Lunch (a box lunch will be provided)
• 1:30-2:15 Establishing Local Nanotech Start-Ups, Panel: Gary Sayler, Director, UTK Center for Environmental Biotechnology: Siqun Wang, DuPont; Joe Matteo, President, NanoTek; Charlie Barnett, Nano Detection Technology
• 2:15-3:00 Environmental Concerns and their Study: Kevin Dreher, National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory, Environmental Protection Agency
• 3:00-3:15 Break
• 4:30 Adjourn
|Copyright ©2003 The EERC & the University of Tennessee · Knoxville Tennessee 37996 · Telephone 865-974-1000 Voice/TDD|